Ingredients for chili:
- 2 28-ounces cans of crushed tomatoes
- 3 ears of fresh corn, grilled, or 1 bag of frozen fire-roasted corn
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 3 small onions, diced
- 2 peppers, chopped
- 2 lbs. Verde 100% Grass-Fed Ground Beef
- 2 tbsp. chipotle powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking oil
Ingredients for grilled sausage and onions:
- Hotdog buns of choice
- Grated cheese of choice
- Lime wedges
- Guacamole or sliced avocado (optional)
Directions for the chili:
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, cook diced onions, and peppers in oil. Stir until soft.
- Add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and stir.
- In a separate pan, break up the ground beef and cook until it is brown.
- Add ground beef to the chili pot along with the paprika, chipotle powder, and garlic powder. Season the chili with salt and pepper to taste. Stir well.
- Let your chili simmer on low heat for at least 30 minutes. The longer it cooks, the more flavorful it will be.
- When the chili is nearly done, add the corn from the cobs or the fire-roasted corn, whichever you are using. (See note below on grilling corn.)
- Taste and add more seasonings if needed.
Directions for the sausage, onions, and assembly:
- Preheat your grill for five minutes.
- Grill beef sausages for 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway until browned on both sides.
- If you’re using grilled corn for your chili, shuck, and place directly on the grill grates. Turn several times until it is cooked and lightly charred, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Place red onion slices directly on the grill grates. Grill onions for 5-7 per side until softened and charred.
- Serve beef sausage on a hot dog bun topped with chili, grilled onions, cilantro, lime, guacamole, and cheese.