Mini Corn Dogs Made with Smoked Sausage
Mini corn dogs — it’s always a crowd favorite. Whether you grew up regularly eating corn dogs at a local fair, or you’ve never tried them before, we have an easy way to make your own homemade mini corn dogs right at home, but this time made with Verde hardwood smoked sausages.
Perfect for summer gatherings, and the kids love them!
- 1 package of Verde hardwood smoked sausage
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of jiffy mix (or any yellow cornmeal)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk (can use milk alternative like almond milk)
- Vegetable oil (if pan-frying) or you can use an air fryer
- Grab one package of Verde smoked sausages. Make sure each hot dog is completely dry (we used a paper towel to dry them) then cut each hot dog into thirds.
- In a large bowl, mix your dry ingredients together – the flour, jiffy mix, sugar, and baking powder. Then mix in 1/2 cup of milk and one large egg. Stir until combined using a whisk.
- If you are using vegetable oil and a cast iron pan, add a few inches of oil to the pan. Heat the oil until you reach medium-high heat. If you are using an air fryer, fry at 320 degrees.
- Place each hot dog in the batter until it’s covered entirely and lightly shake off the excess. Then place the hot dogs into the hot oil. Your cast iron should fit 8-10 pieces at a time.
- Fry each corn dog until it’s crispy and lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes each corn dog.
- Move the corn dogs to a plate lined with paper towels and let sit for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with your favorite condiments!