Change up your weeknight sirloin with a simple, flavorful topper made with your choice of onions and thinly sliced fennel.
– 1 cup mixed chopped onions (white, red, green, whatever you have on hand!)
– 1 bulb of fennel, thinly sliced
– 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Bring steaks to room temperature and season generously with salt and pepper.
– Grill steaks for 4-5 minutes on the first side over medium-high heat.
– Turn sirloin steaks over and grill for another 3-5 minutes to your desired temperature.
– Meanwhile, heat butter and oil over medium-low heat until hot but not smoking.
– Add onions and fennel. Continue cooking for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure they don’t burn. The slow cooking allows the vegetables to caramelize together.
– Season to taste with salt and pepper.
– Spoon onion-fennel mixture over steak and serve.