#GivingTuesday at the Pine Street Inn
Thanksgiving has passed, you’ve braved the crowds at Black Friday, and spent hours at the keyboard on Cyber Monday. But there’s a third, a much more important day this week: Giving Tuesday.
Started in 2012, #GivingTuesday is a chance to give to those in need through time, donations, goods, or your voice.
Today, November 29th, is Giving Tuesday. If you’re fortunate enough to have a roof over your head, safety during your day, and regular meals on the table, join the movement. Please consider giving to our truly amazing partner, Pine Street Inn. (You don’t even need to finish reading – click here to donate now!)
#TEAMPINESTREET: THE HEROES AT PINE STREET INN
Think your Thanksgiving was hectic? Last Thursday, the unstoppable crew at Pine Street Inn prepared 2,000 Thanksgiving meals to homeless individuals in what they deem their “super bowl.” 50 gallons of gravy, 700 pounds of mashed potatoes, and a literal ton of turkey at PSI in Boston’s South End.
It’s just another day at New England’s largest homeless shelter. Founded in 1969, Pine Street Inn prepares more than 17,000 meals a week, 52 weeks a year. PSI is a full-service organization, providing “a full spectrum of services to help men and women reach their highest level of independence and get back to a place they can call home.”
SAFETY. HOUSING. EMPLOYMENT. DIGNITY. HOPE.
The daily work at the Pine Street Inn includes:
- Daily meal service to more than 1,900 individuals;
- A safe, clean environment for the 700 men and women in PSI’s shelters every night;
- Permanent affordable housing for 900 tenants at 37 sites in Boston with 24-hour onsite staff to prevent a return to homelessness;
- Support for individuals to transition from the streets to a home and retain housing;
- Street outreach to 115 unsheltered homeless men and women daily by van and foot;
- Emergency and recovery services, clinical psychiatric, and specialized programs;
- Job training and employment services, including an annual graduating class of 200 men and women;
- iCater, a social enterprise corporate catering company, training formerly homeless individuals in foodservice via professional chefs;
- Specialized case management to support individuals in rebuilding their lives.
SUPPORT THE PINE STREET INN ON #GIVINGTUESDAY
We live in one of the most prosperous areas in the country and the world; yet, thousands of people sleep on the streets and many more are only a paycheck away from homelessness.
Lack of affordable housing, low wages and poverty, job or income loss, mental illness, substance abuse, and domestic violence all contribute to the hundreds of thousands of individuals with no place to call home. The heroes at Pine Street Inn address these issues to give individuals hope and a renewed future. It takes more than just manpower to fuel the mission, however, and you can help.
Donate to the Pine Street Inn and help rebuild a life this Giving Tuesday. Want to do more? Homelessness is a year-round problem – find out other ways you can get involved here and join #TeamPineStreet.
VERDE FARMS AND PINE STREET INN
Sadly, many individuals who are homeless or living in poverty struggle with health issues and lack basic nutrition to operate fully.
At Verde Farms, we are proud to partner with Pine Street Inn to provide protein for PSI’s meal program. We’ve supplied Pine Street Inn with organic, grass-fed beef for almost 150,000 meals in 2016 and for over 270,000 meals to date. We are thrilled to support the amazing work of this organization, however, we can.
For more on food donations to the Pine Street Inn, click here.
Join the Movement. Give Back.
Whether with Pine Street Inn or another charitable organization, we encourage you to give back to your community – locally or globally. From all of us at Verde Farms, we wish you a happy and healthy holiday season.