Beef Stew with Sweet Potatoes & Mushrooms
5 Hours (reduced by half if using Instapot)
While there’s a little chill in the air, cook up a warm beef stew in the oven with a nice twist – use sweet potatoes. They caramelize with the other ingredients to make it saucy and the mushrooms and truffle salt add umami. The perfect dish for a fall /winter evening with friends & family.
- 1 16 oz pckg Verde Organic, Grass-Fed Stew Meat
- 8 oz. package of shiitake mushrooms
- 3 sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (or substitute avocado oil)
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (or substitute soy sauce)
- 2 cups of chicken or beef stock
- Freshly chopped sage & rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon truffle salt (or substitute sea salt or coarse kosher salt)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste, to season meat
- Preheat over to 250 degrees.
- Season stew meat with salt and pepper.
- In a Dutch oven, brown stew meat in coconut oil on all sides to seal in the juices.
- Remove stew meat from the pan and set aside.
- Sauté onions in the Dutch oven for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the diced vegetables and fresh herbs. Cook until vegetables soften, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Cover with stock and coconut aminos.
- Return beef to Dutch oven.
- Cook for up to 5 hours at 300 degrees (half the time if using an Instapot), stirring every hour or so. Begin to check for doneness at the 4-hour mark. It’s done when the beef can be cut with a fork and blends well into the stew.